Stranger at Amtrak

 

         It was the start of the weekend, Friday evening and I boarded the Amtrak to visit my cousin living in Sunnyvale, Santa Clara. The train was crowded as almost all UCD kids coming from bay area leave to home for the weekends and I was finding it difficult to grab a window solo seat. As I walked by, I saw an Indian man sitting alone with the aisle kept free and I asked if it’s taken. He nervously said no, and I tried to make myself comfortable by removing my wind cheater jacket and tried to push in my bag above in the cabin luggage holder but failed miserably. My bag was bulged like a rice bag with lots of stuffs tucked in at the last moment. So, I had to put down the bag under my legs below the seat n tried to squeeze into a comfy position. So, this man, an Indian of medium heigh with a moustache aged around 40 yrs. asked if I could help him put his brown cylindrical bag in the cabin luggage and of course I helped him and then settled back quickly.

The idea of spending 3 hours in Amtrak needs to be really well planned. During day times there are lovely scenarios outside with vast bay waters, phenomenal sunsetting skies, great meadows that are being crossed swiftly giving a green blurry views along with randomly spotted horses, cows and sheep grazing as well but at this time of the year during winter, it’s all gloomy and dark and even a 5 pm train gives a night ride feeling. So, the only options are to listen to music or read or watch something in the 6th finger. I was assessing my just bought beats headset and it was functioning well by cancelling external noise. Also, I started pulling out my notes in my phone and was making a vent post about something that occurred in the week in parallel. I did not want to write them down in a notebook for two reasons. 1. My handwriting was bad 2. Privacy. So, I kept typing my thoughts as the person sitting next to me received a phone call. He spoke in Telugu and sounded nervous and new to this place. I am not new to making friendships with anyone anytime and anywhere. In fact, I am in touch with still a couple of train friends whom I met decades ago during travelling in India. Being a foreign land, I don’t see much Indians at least in Davis and this got me excited as this person felt like home to me! I took off my headset for a while to plainly stare at my surroundings and see if still there was an empty seat available only to put back my earphones quickly as it was a noisy train. Two teens were literally singing karaoke and mashing up behind my seat and it was so blaring and unbearable.    

 While this man was trying to find the station, he was in as it was dark and was looking at the ticket inspector if she would give a heads up for his upcoming stop. He was a bit restless and was also connecting to his friend who was supposed to pick him up while I was there just focusing on creating my vent post. I could hear the sweet Telugu and it is a good feel when you know the language, but the other person doesn’t know about that! It’s funny sometimes too! Also, I had noticed the stop sign above his seat earlier that this person is getting down at the same station where I am meeting my cousin which is great America Santa Clara as well. I also noticed that he had an iPhone with TCS app, obviously Indian software engineer in US. What else it could be? So, I had more information about him and if there was any other hint, I could easily find him up in LinkedIn may be! This looking up habit never goes away from me. anyone I meet. I tend to collect all information and cross check my detective skills with google and feel satisfied. I am not sure if everyone does that, but I sure do a lot of background check before I involve with any person after the technology boom. It was only based on intuition earlier and I think it my intuition has failed me several times, so I trust search engines more often these days. An hour goes by and still none of us started a chat. I was determined not to, because at this point of my life I have come across so many frail friendships and I had just crossed my saturation point for making new connections although I don’t shy away from a conversation if that’s interesting. Either ways I just kept quiet and continued to mind my own business and after half an hour the man next to me asked something which I totally couldn’t hear as  my ears were covered. Breaking the silence and a chance to talk to a fellow Indian, I pulled away my headsets and asked him to repeat politely. Now before even we spoke I had a weird thought of giving out all fake  information about  me to this guy if a conversation broke out and to remain as a mysterious woman and to try and answer only the questions being asked and to conduct myself in a very different way rather than the usual causal carefree talkative nature just to test if I could pull away the act as it was just a random stranger and it can be easily gotten away with!  So on closely hearing for the second time, he had asked if the upcoming station was Santa Clara and like all hell broke loose I blurted out that, we are getting down at the same station so do not worry about it we have an hour and half more time. Now back in my head I was scolding myself for not executing the plan I had made previously. It was like. you just had one job. to act like a different person. While I was already exchanging enough information for him to google about me and get all my details!                          

He face got relieved after knowing there was someone getting down at the same station and I also told that, you can track where you are in google maps based on your own location and I was glad to see he immediately pulled out his phone and did the same. Although he is a techie, may be his freight mode didn’t function well at that time may be and his face lit bright. I also told him to share his live location for an hour to his friend so that he can track up and reach the station accordingly instead of calling him every five minutes and talking for five minutes about how dark it is outside and how clueless he has been so far throughout the journey. He quickly shared his location relay for an hour, kept his phone aside for the first time and started to talk about how new he is to this place. He was very respectful from the start.
After initial introductions, I came to know that he is from Cincinnati, Ohio and work from home has enabled him to carry his laptop and travel as well to the west coast. He was telling about his travel stories and his experiences in California, and I felt like watching an excited kid sharing his experience about travelling in a giant hot air balloon for the first time. Such were his Hollywood LA trip stories. Time just flew by exchanging background stories when suddenly the train came to a halt, and we did not even realize it for 20 minutes.Later an announcement claimed that there is a tow truck across the train track, and they have been waiting for it to be removed.

We were getting delayed from ETA, and I updated my cousin who was waiting to celebrate her birthday after I joined her at the station. The person next to me, called as Lingam has shared more information that even his LinkedIn doesn’t reveal that much! He has two grown up kids with one being in college and another in high school. He did not look old though! Looks like he got married when he was 22 as he was the only kid! He has been to US only for a year on L1 visa due to financial struggles back at home he took up this project aborad. I loved the way he spoke about his wife. There was absolutely no drama while he narrated his life story. His wife seems to be a caring and loveable person and from what I listened from him I could see how much he is devoted to his wife. His wife has escaped death nearly twice and when he expressed how he felt at those times all I could see was a genuine man with a childlike heart filled with love for the woman in his life. There was a voice inside my mind that kept telling me don’t try to reveal much to a stranger but I don’t know why I ended up talking about my husband, my son, studies, having no friends in US, ambition’s , appreciating nature, explaining structure - function relationships between proteins and drug discovery, making an itinerary for his San Francisco trip over the weekend, favorite movies and getting a list to watch in Netflix and at the end of 2 hour long conversation he just told me that even some of his friends or neighbours doesn’t know about him so well that he has said almost his entire life story to me. He also mentioned that  I reminded him about two of his mentors in his life who was like his life coach He also said that I am a strong and bold woman. I was glad to hear this and all I felt was how two random strangers could connect so well over a short period of time and I was at the same point where I had created my train friendships earlier. I shared my email address earlier but this time my phone number. He wanted his son to purse higher studies here and told me that he would ask him to contact me in the future. He also suggested to watch Railway men which I promptly did later in the night.

After an hour of delay, the train was about to reach the destination and it was time to leave. We collected our bags and climbed down to the exit gates and waited patiently leaning to the doorway panels, standing in the opposite directions looking at each other for a while. At that moment, I had a strange thought. now that I have given the number, what if the person tries to be in regular touch starts to behave creepy which I am so used to and now I am bored of any such relationships. I am not sure what he was thinking though. We shook hands and got down and never looked back. He vanished into thin air. Rather thick cold foggy air. never to be seen again. A fleeting friendship not a moment of flirting that was purely intended to pass 2 hours in a train journey could be easily taken as a speed dating or cheating or taken further to any other lever by anyone these days just turned out to be the real rail sneham, washing away all the wrong notions my mind could think off and making me build trust again in understanding that a good company although does not stay forever but that has stirred up your heart and made you feel live again can be worth a memory for a lifetime.

                                                             *******

Comments