10.5/10

Nothing worth having comes easy

As a class eight teenager, back in the year 2000, we had a project submission as a part of our coursework in science. The class of 60 students got divided into 12 groups with five members each. We had to choose any two crops and provide a model along with charts explaining the key points and I nonchalantly agreed for the easy chart writing part without pondering much. We settled down to sugarcane and cotton cultivation in India.
When I took this home, my father was very excited and said he would help me. Ensuring the details about the project he conceptualized the idea for presentation. Being an avid Hindu reader, he suggested that I could prepare the chart just like a newspaper's front-page. Excited, I conveyed it to the other group members for which they agreed and fed me with information to fill in the chart. As simple as it sounded, I went shopping, bought two white charts started drawing borders, copied all the information given by my friends into it in a vertical order. After an hour, Viola! It’s done. While rolling it up, I felt some sharp sting in my ears, and turning back, I found my father’s hand pinching my ears.
Well, that’s how it all started. He asked me to do a rough draft first, chiding me for doing the project in a shabby way. I had to restart everything with my dad sitting beside and for each sentence I wrote, I got a knock on my head. One knock for writing in Bombay to Delhi direction (that’s how he calls it), the other knock was for not spacing out the words equally, another for a careless spelling mistake, one more for letting a drop of tear in the chart leaving it smudged. Oh! Getting knocks seemed as an unending process and I never knew writing in a chart would be so hard. He kept on correcting me, with no concern about my tears or stress. What started as a playful event at dusk turned out a nightmare and did not end until dawn. I went sleepless and my mom who sneaked in at times to give snacks was also chucked out. Despite my dismissing sore looks, he remained stern and didn’t give up on the backbreaking task. All I did was, to soothe my skull and continue writing with tears flowing through, careful enough to not let it fall on the chart.
                                       
It was a Sunday morning. Once all the columns were finalized with proper headings, dad gave a nod for making the fair copy. This time, I was not in a cheerful mood. I carefully took the scale, measured the height and width of the chart, marked spots for borders and drew lines after checking the measurements twice. The whole chart was meticulously planned and executed with full focus to look like a newspaper. It had an emblem, edition, place, date, headlines with a picture, snippets column, even a cartoonscape followed by statistical reports and carried an advertisement column placed down right in the chart. My dad, grabbed some cotton, stuck in the chart, drew a cotton flower then wrote a fancy name for a cotton product as an advertisement. He also glued my mom's handkerchief in the headline’s column, stating the uses of cotton. The sugarcane chart was no lesser challenge for my dad's ingenuity. I gradually started to see what my dad had in mind. I had no clue that a project done so painstakingly could lead to such a marvellous outcome. At the end of the day, after the long haul, I witnessed two perfectly made charts entitled as "The Sugarcane Times" and "The Cotton Chronicle" which was so flawless looking exactly like a newspaper print.
Monday morning, I marched to school deliberately holding the newspapers (aka charts). I noted the uniqueness in my charts among others displayed works. When our Science teachers assessed our work they were quite curious about my charts and while announcing the results, our teacher appreciated everyone for doing an outstanding job and she gave ten on ten to all the groups. The class shouted in glee, but then she paused for a second and said, my group alone would get a half mark extra for the effort I had put on my chart. I felt greatly honoured with my group cheering aloud for me. I stood with a small tear rolling down my cheek silently forgiving my dad, but never to forget the lesson.

Nothing worth having comes easy

Comments